Champions Arise – Study Guide
Series: Every Man a Warrior, Program: #1 (EMAW 01)
Finding the One Important Thing in Life
Focus Passage – Matthew 22:36-38
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.”
1) What are ways men try to find meaning and purpose in their lives? (Include good and bad examples.)
2) Based on Matthew 22:36-38, what did Jesus say was the way to find purpose in our life?
3) Why do we need to develop skills to love God in the way Jesus describes?
4) What are the three parts of the Quiet Time skill?
A – ___________________________________________________________________
B – ___________________________________________________________________
C – ___________________________________________________________________
5) When and where will I have my daily quiet time with God this week?
Commitment: I commit to ________________________________________________.
Finding the One Important Thing in Life – LEADER’S GUIDE
1. Thank everyone for coming.
2. Open in prayer
3. Read the focus passage
4. Ask men to answer Question #1.
Question #1 answer – examples of answers include, having the right job or position, having a nice home, having enough possessions, having esteem among others.
5. Listen to the program: “Finding the One Important Thing in Life.”
6. After the program is finished, allow time for comments or questions on the program
7. Review the answers to the four remaining questions with the men in the group. Encourage everyone to participate, but never force or shame someone into participating.
a) Question #2 answer: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
b) Question #3 answer – (Like our human relationships) our love can grow cold without intentional steps to keep the love fresh.
c) Question #4 answer – (A) – Ask questions; (B) – find the best verse or best thought in the passage; (C) – communicate back (pray) to God what you learned.
d) Question #5 answer – Encourage the men to commit to a time and place. If anyone is having difficulty finding a time or place, have the men work together to help him think of possible options.
8. Ask the men what was most important to them from this teaching.
9. Ask men to commit to having a daily quiet time every day this week.
10. Confirm the time and place for the next meeting
11. Take prayer requests from the group.
12. Close in prayer
Sample prayer: Almighty God, thank you for loving us. Help us to love you with all our heart and soul and mind. Help us to meet with you every day for at least 15 minutes. Help our love for you to grow deeper every day. In Jesus name. Amen.