I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer. (1Timothy 2:8)
1. Intercessory prayer is hard work and requires determination and perseverance. The intercessory prayer for our families, our pastors, our Church and our countries is a vital part of our lives as followers of Christ. Remember, when we work, we work (often with limited results). But when we pray, God works (Isaiah 45:2).
2. Today, millions of men become addicted to pornography, especially through the Internet. Viewing porn steals our spiritual strength and has the power to destroy marriages and family relations. Pray that Christian men all over the world will stand up as the champions God meant us to be – turning away from porn and other sinful habits (1Thessalonians 4:7).
3. 1 John 5:15 reassures us: “And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.” Praying for the advancement of the gospel reflects God’s will (1 Timothy 2:4-5). Our intercession “lays down the tracks” for the train of God’s salvation to reach the lost!
4. When Sarah’s maidservant Hagar was running away and feeling deserted, God sent his angel to deliver and encourage her. She calls him “You-Are-the-God-Who-Sees” (Genesis 16:13). When we bring our needs to God in prayer – locally and globally – we can be confident that he sees the whole situation.
5. One of the most frequent requests for prayer involves the need for healing. God is called “Jehovah Rapha” – God Who Heals (Exodus 15:26). We are invited to pray for healing (James 5:14-15), being mindful that ultimate, eternal healing is through salvation by our Savior, Jesus Christ.
6. God’s character and Word are totally dependable: “Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness” (Lamentations 3:22-23). As his sons, let’s be faithful in our character and prayer life.
7. Attempts to destroy the cornerstone of society by devaluing the mother-father-child model as the norm for family relations seem to be succeeding to a frightening extent in huge parts of the Western world. Let us pray that Christian men will have courage to stand up against this ungodly agenda and proclaim God’s standards with authority (2 Timothy 4:2).
8. When parents divorce, their children often develop fears of inadequacy and rejection. These fears often produce anger in adult men. Pray that God will reveal the true roots of their anger and bring healing to them and their relationships (James 1:19-20).
9. Through intimate communication with our Lord and Savior, we find rest for our souls and gain new strength. Pray that God will give us wisdom to consider our free access to the throne – available 24/7 for as long as we live. He is our greatest friend and our greatest blessing (Hebrews 4:16).
10. Today many followers of Christ are facing persecution while Christians in the Western Hemisphere still experience freedom of faith and speech. Pray that believers who face persecution, whoever they are and wherever they live, will find in Christ strength to prevail and courage to stand strong through the storm (Psalm 9:10).
11. Remember your higher calling. You belong to God and have the privilege of serving him by means of the indwelling Christ. Be mindful of whose you are and whom you serve. Pray also for the grace to serve in the life-giving power of the Spirit rather than in the dead works of the flesh (Acts 27:23)!
12. How stable is your life, your work, and your ministry? Pray that you will live with a God consciousness – an abiding awareness of the Lord’s presence in your life. Ask the Lord to enable you to rely upon him every step of the way so that you will not be moved (Acts 2:2).
13. Moses, the great leader of the Israelite nation, told God, “If your presence is not with me, I can’t go on.” Pray that you will realize just how vital God’s presence is in your own life. Ask God to cause you to live in his presence every moment of every day (Exodus 33:15).
14. Intercede for those working to rescue children who are used as prostitutes (more than 1 million worldwide). Pray that these children would have a safe place to heal, live, and learn about God. (PH) “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute” (Proverbs 31:8).
15. If you belong to Christ, you have his indwelling presence in you. Therefore, trust him to fight your battles for you. Ask God to guard your mind and guide your steps in whatever comes your way. He will get you through (Psalm 9:3)!
16. Thousands of terrorists in the Middle East and Africa justify their horrific sexual exploitations and the slavery of women and girls with crooked and inhuman religious arguments. Pray with boldness against the military advances of these satanic forces, and pray for the victims to find hope, healing, and strength in the grace of God.
17. In a world where happiness is hard to find, joy is the superior alternative. True joy is the fruit of the Holy Spirit. Allow God to fill you with his Spirit so that you can experience his joy in all its fullness. And then pray that his joy will overflow into the lives of those around you (Psalm 16:11).
18. Recently, the UNHCR (the U.N.’s refugee agency) applauded Germany and Austria for welcoming refugees mostly from Syria. Pray that Christians in these countries would know how to demonstrate in tangible ways the love of Christ to these thousands of displaced people.
19. In 2014 there were 19.5 million refugees and 59.5 million displaced people in the world (UNHCR). Pray that God will grant wisdom to government officials who deal with these issues and will send his “angels” into refugee camps. Pray also for TWR programs to be a beacon of light and hope to those multitudes in despair.
20. Faith is a vital condition for effective prayer. 1 John 5:14 is an important promise: “Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.” We don’t need a cellphone or email to reach him; God hears our prayers when they reflect his values.
21. Stress and addictions often go together. Pray that God will stir men’s hearts to forsake their reliance on alcohol, pornography, drugs, or anything else they’re using as a substitute for fully trusting God (Ephesians 5:17-19).
22. Pray for perseverance for the thousands of women in hundreds of Project Hannah prayer groups in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Europe who are praying together through monthly prayer requests in more than 85 languages. Pray also for the CA prayer calendar to soon be available in more languages.
23. Today many missionary-sending countries receive thousands of immigrants and refugees from regions where the work of missions is curtailed. Pray for a new preparedness of the church to reach out to these foreigners and for Christian men especially to be compelled by the love of Christ to share the gospel in meaningful ways.
24. Pray for political and economic stability in East Africa so that needed resources, medical care, and food supplies can be made available to women and their children. Pray for government leaders to work together for the benefit of their citizens and for men to accept their God-given role of leadership in caring and providing safety for their families.
25. Thank the Lord that the Champions Arise programs in the Zulu language (South Africa) are on the air and well-received. Pray for additional outlets to come on board; for the health of the main producer, Ernest Mcambi; and for Pastor Nduldia, co-presenter of the program. They are now in the process of finishing the translation and production of the last 10 programs of the series.
26. God created men and women differently (Genesis 2:18-15). This can be very frustrating for men! We often expect them to have the same perspectives that we do. Pray that men will not give up on their responsibilities as husbands but that they also will persevere in understanding and loving their wives (1 Peter 3:7).
27. Ask the Lord to bless fathers, husbands, and brothers who treat women and girls with respect and dignity and who are teaching other men to do likewise. Pray that the programs of CA will impact men in Africa, Indonesia, North America, India, and Brazil and help them find their role as godly leaders.
28. Praise the Lord for the recent camp for Afrikaans-speaking men led by TWR South Africa director Danie du Preez. At the event, men committed to pray regularly with us through the CA prayer calendar. Please pray also for the Lord to guide us in securing the right co-presenter for the Afrikaans production of Champions Arise.
29. Pray for victims of slavery in our world today (there are around 35 million slaves worldwide). Pray that God would rescue many of them from Satan’s claws and that they would find healing in Christ and opportunities for education, job training, and integration into society.
30. Pray that women and girls who have survived sexual abuse will receive the care they need. Rape is one of the most unreported crimes because of the prevailing attitude that it is shameful for victims’ families. In many areas there is no protection for victims, who are often harmed again by those who should be protecting them. (PH)
31. Pray for spiritual revival in the Church so that she will be a beacon of light and truth in our confused society. Pray that Christian men would seek the Lord wholeheartedly and be empowered by his spirit to become his agents of change. Pray that God will grant us perseverance as prayer warriors.